We are looking for people passionate about supporting our local food community! Our mission is to connect our community with great local food and, during this time, it’s more important than ever to support small businesses and local agriculture.
Volunteers are the backbone of the Withrow Park Farmers’ Market and your hard work and dedication, along with your enthusiastic attitude, will ensure we have an organized, safe and inclusive outdoor farmers’ market.
To ensure the effective operations of the Withrow Park Farmers’ Market we ask that our volunteers be comfortable complying with the following procedures:
Volunteers must comply with:
- Being conscientious and courteous at all times
- Following public health protocols (physical distancing, mask, hand washing/sanitizing etc.)
- Being a team player and following guidance from the Market Manager
- Approaching (in a physically distant way) and talking to people to explain protocols of the market, give directions, or answer questions
Current Volunteer Opportunities
We have a number of volunteer roles that are listed here and described in more detail below:
- Parking Attendant
- Set-up Crew
- Front Entrance Monitor
- Pre-orders Associate
Parking Attendant (Shifts: 7am to 9am and/or 12:30pm to 2pm)
This role is best suited for someone 18 years of age and older. Bonus if you have experience driving! Parking attendant shifts are short, but this is one of our most important roles!
- Directing the arrival of our farmers during set-up and/or load-out
- Directing vendors to the appropriate parking and unloading areas
- Allowing only farmers into designated parking spots
- Enforcing parking plans established by our parking permit
Set-up Crew (Shifts: 7am to 9am)
A self-explanatory but essential part of our volunteer team! We couldn’t have a well-organized market without the proper set-up. Help us transform an empty field into a safe marketplace!
- Distribute and set-up the needed tables and tents
- Putting out and displaying signage and chalkboards
- Mark the 6ft spots for safe line-ups
- Physical ability to move event supplies with a dollie and lift up to 30lbs
Front Entrance Monitor (Shifts: 8am to 11am and/or 11am to 2pm)
The Front Entrance volunteers are our first point of contact for patrons visiting the market.
- Always interact with others using respect and kindness
- Using a guestlist, check if patrons have pre-ordered during the designated times
- Relay information to patrons and confirm they understand our market rules
- Monitor that the lineup stays safe and ensuring that patrons are staying 6ft apart
- Keep track of the number of people inside the market and let new people in as others leave
Marshalls (Shifts: 8am to 11am and/or 11am to 2pm)
There are some new rules at the Market to promote efficiency and safety. As a Marshall, you’ll keep your eyes peeled to make sure patrons are following the flow so everyone has an enjoyable and safe experience while shopping and that we may serve more of the community.
- Be positive, helpful and stay alert for any issues
- Provide directions and answer questions patrons might have
- Monitor lineups to insure physical distancing is maintained
- Make sure patrons are using the designated entrance and exit.
- Check that our caution tape is still intact and providing a barrier around the market
Pre-order Associate (Shifts: 8am to 11am)
Some of our farmers are not able to join us in-person this season. To further support them we will be providing patrons with the opportunity to pre-order from them online. The Pre-order Associate will be part of a team that provides customers with a quick and efficient pick-up experience.
- Receive fresh produce/products from our farmers and food vendors
- Organize them into alphabetical order so they are easy to find when a customer arrives
- Provide courteous customer service and facilitate pick-ups with the customers
- You will never have to handle any payment transactions (All orders will be prepaid)
HOW TO APPLY
Volunteers should be able to commit to 2-4 markets from July to August.
Volunteer Registration Form
Healthy & Safety at Withrow Market
We are implementing layers of health and safety precautions for our volunteers, vendors and patrons. Moving outdoors to the park already helps reduces the spread of COVID. As per the Toronto Public Health Guidelines, we have a health screening questionnaire for everyone prior to entering. It is mandatory to wear a mask, along with frequent washing and/or sanitizing of hands. You can read Public Health’s full guidelines here. The health of our team, community, and their families is extremely important to us!
Thank you for helping to make this year’s farmers’ market possible!