We are looking for a Market Manager to run our popular weekly farmers’ market. If you’re passionate about sustainability and community and have strong organizational skills, this may be the job for you!
Starts April 2, 2023
Application deadline: February 26, 2023
30 hours a week
$22 an hour (fixed-term employment contract)
Seasonal employment, 30 weeks (April 2 to October 28)
About the Market
Withrow Park Farmers’ Market (WPFM) , a registered nonprofit organization, runs a seasonal market on Saturdays from the beginning of June to mid October. This is an open-air market operating every week, rain or shine, with about three dozen vendors each week. Vendors include organic and ecological farmers, cooks, bakers, vintners and brewers, local artists and community groups. The market aims to be a zero waste market, and supports the wider sustainable economy through events like swaps and repair-athons.
Market Hours: Set-up: 7:30- 9am | Public hours: 9am to 1pm | Take-down: 1-2pm
The Market Manager oversees all aspects of running the market, with support from a volunteer Board of Directors. The Manager works from home throughout the week, with occasional meetings at Withrow Park when required, and works every Saturday in the park. This is a hands-on job during market day, which requires the ability to lift and move heavy things and the ability to engage with vendors, the public and volunteers in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Market day planning and oversight: Overseeing all aspects of market day logistics, including set-up and take-down, volunteer oversight, vendor arrangements, collecting sales and attendance data and managing inventory for all 20 markets.
- Vendor relations: Recruiting the required number of vendors to ensure market viability; invoicing, scheduling market vendors, collecting end-of-day sales data, and ensuring adherence to the market’s vendor guidelines (Board members start recruitment efforts in February).
- Marketing: Promoting the market in advance of and during market season through channels such as a weekly e-newsletter, posts on the market’s social channels, blogs on the market website, other organizations’ digital channels, and printed flyers/postcards distributed in the neighbourhood; and reviewing effectiveness of those efforts.
- Staff and volunteer management: Recruiting and overseeing a paid Volunteer Coordinator; supporting with volunteer management.
- Community relations: Maintaining good relations with staff at City of Toronto Parks department, Toronto Public Health, and Municipal Licensing & Standards division; and being the first point of contact for community members.
- Musician relations: Recruiting, scheduling and paying musicians for market day.
- Accountability: Providing the Board and, as requested, financial partners with updates on market operations.
- Committee participation: Participating in regular Operations Committee meetings and Board of Directors meetings, when required.
- Budget management and financial record-keeping: Delivering the market within budget, with the support of the Board, and keeping detailed financial records.
The ideal candidate has the following experiences and skills:
- Passion for food and farming, sustainable economies and strong communities
- Event management experience
- Experience working in a public-facing role
- Very strong organizational, planning, time management and project management skills
- Strong communications and diplomacy skills
- Experience running social media channels for an organization
- Experience with Google Suite, Canva and WordPress
- Ability to be self-directed
- Ability to lift and move heavy things
- Knowledge of this market and the Riverdale community
Apply by Sunday, February 26th by emailing your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please make clear why you are interested in this position, how you’re well suited to the role and how you see the market growing and evolving to do even more to build community connections.
We appreciate the time all candidates take to prepare an application but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.