Help us strengthen community connection and environmental stewardship.
Join the Board of Directors
We’re looking for a new director to join our Board as a board secretary.
TIME COMMITMENT: 3-5 hours a month (meetings, preparation, tasks outside the meetings)
APPOINTMENT TERM: Two years
START DATE: July 2021
Are you ready to roll up your sleeves? We are an active, hands-on board, not least because we have only temporary, part-time staff and our board has a maximum of seven members. Our board members commit to putting in the time and hard work required to run a small nonprofit. While the market runs just in the summer and fall, the board’s work is year-round.
We have a great market manager, supported by volunteers and a strong operations committee. At this point we are not needing more board-level support for the day-to-day running of the market. Instead, we are looking for a new board member who can support the running of the organization through strong administrative, strategic or policy skills.
The board secretary is a key officer on the board, who takes a leadership role in strengthening the organization and ensuring we’re operating properly. With help from the other board members, you’ll undertake tasks such as taking board meeting minutes, filing government forms, ensuring we’re operating properly, operationalizing our policies, updating our bylaws, establishing good record-keeping systems and providing governance oversight.
We’re a welcoming and inclusive group. We’re hoping to find a board member who will add to the diversity of perspectives and experiences of our board members and better reflect the diverse makeup of Riverdale. Experience in the nonprofit sector in Ontario would be helpful.
In return for your hard work, you can expect:
- A supportive environment
- Moments of joy, fun and laughter
- Feelings of accomplishment for helping to ensure the success of a well-loved market
- New connections — with farmers, market volunteers, other board members and market shoppers
- Satisfaction with knowing you’ve contributed to the well being of the community
We’re especially interested in hearing from candidates with the following:
- SKILLS: Organizational management, HR, administration, record-keeping, policy, communications and strategic planning skills
- KNOWLEDGE: Of Riverdale, the market itself, business/organizational/management processes
- PASSION: For food, community, sustainable economies — or all three!
- ATTRIBUTES: Accountability, responsibility, leadership, integrity
Applications close July 4
Interviews with candidates: Early July
Appointment to the board: At the July board meeting, mid-July