Interested in supporting good local food and strengthening community?
Join the Board that runs Withrow Park Farmer’ Market!
- TIME COMMITMENT: 4-6 hours a month (meetings, preparation, tasks outside the meetings)
- APPOINTMENT TERM: Two years
- START DATE: March 2021
We’re looking for a new director for the Board of Directors of the Centre for Local Food Initiatives, the incorporated nonprofit running the much-loved Withrow Park Farmers’ Market.
Are you ready to roll up your sleeves? We are an active, hands-on board, not least because we have only temporary, part-time staff and our board has five members. Our board members commit to putting in the time and hard work required to run a small nonprofit — from securing funding, to undertaking financial recordkeeping, creating policies, establishing good administrative systems, managing budgets, overseeing staff and supporting operations. While the market runs just in the summer and fall, the board’s work is year-round.
Love organizational development? We have a great paid market manager, supported by volunteers and a strong operations committee. At this point we are not needing more board-level support for the day-to-day running of the market. Instead, we are looking for a new board member who can support the running of the organization through strong administrative, strategic, financial or policy skills.
We’re a welcoming and inclusive group. We’re hoping to find a board member who will add to the diversity of perspectives and experiences of our board members and better reflect the diverse makeup of Riverdale.
In return for your hard work, you can expect:
- A supportive environment
- Moments of joy, fun and laughter
- Feelings of accomplishment for helping to ensure the success of a well-loved market
- New connections — with farmers, market volunteers, other board members or market shoppers
- Satisfaction with knowing you’ve contributed to the well being of the community
We’re especially interested in hearing from candidates with the following:
- SKILLS: Management, finance, bookkeeping, HR, administration, policy or planning skills
- KNOWLEDGE: Of Riverdale, the market itself, business/organizational/management processes, the nonprofit sector
- PASSION: For food, community, sustainable economies — or all three!
- ATTRIBUTES: Accountability, responsibility, leadership, integrity
Please send us your resume and outline how your skills, experiences and perspectives could contribute to the board. Interested but not sure if this is right for you? Please reach out with your questions.
- Applications close February 7
- Interviews with candidates: February
- Election to the board: At the AGM in March